Thursday, September 8, 2011

To conquer the fear.

So the inspiration for this post is kind of comical, but bear with me...

I have a huge fear of spiders. When I see them, I run to the other side of the room, squeal like a little girl... you get the picture.

As I was showering today, I noticed a particularly large one climbing down to me...

First instinct.. I was terrified. I just stood there and couldn't move. It was huge and scary...

But as I stood there, I realized how ridiculous I was being...

It's just a spider after all, right?

Right.

So I grabbed a tissue and I got it out of the shower.

I don't know about you, but I LOVE to conquer fears.

There's no greater rush than to tackle something that terrifies you.

Over the summer, I went on a mission trip as an adult leader for a youth group.

It was an absolutely incredible experience.

Not only did I get to bond with the kids, I got to meet children from the area and help paint a home.

I also have a fear of heights.

The only people who could paint the roof for the house was the adult leaders.

I was asked to do it...

My first instinct.. "there is NO way I am getting up on that thing."

But.. eventually with some motivation from the others I climbed on the ladder and I stood on the roof and started painting.

It felt amazing.

 If only in life every time we conquer something, there are people applauding us and hooting and hollering our name...

God is doing that.  He wants us to conquer those fears. He doesn't want us to become so hindered that we don't even try new things.


One last example...


A few years ago, I went away on a vacation (somewhere Tropical) where I had the chance to go scuba diving.

Did I mention, I also have a fear of the ocean and swimming?

Being it was my first time scuba diving, I had to take lessons from an instructor.

So he taught me everything I needed to know in a hotel pool next to the Dive shop.

I had my vest on, my mouth piece, and all my gear in place... I was going to conquer a HUGE fear.

I kept going under water trying to get the breathing down, and I panicked!

"I'm not going to do this," I kept telling myself.

The instructor was patient and understanding.

Then he started getting a little annoyed with me...

He asked me, "why are you doing this?"

I told him, "I always wanted to do this... but I was afraid."

He told me he'll be there with me holding my hand through it all.

He kept his word.

I eventually got on the boat and jumped in the ocean with him.

At first, I freaked out. This was it, there is no turning back now.

I swam to the surface.

He said, "I'm right here, let's go under."

And so we did.

It was amazing. I saw so many different colored fish, and even swam through an abandoned ship. The instructor even put a sponge on my hand. He kept his word. He never let go of my hand until I was ready. I gave him the thumbs up to let him know I was ok and he let go.

I'll never forget that experience for as long as I live.

Jesus is holding your hand through it all just like that instructor was holding mine.

He wants us to go out there and experience what life has to offer.



Isaiah 41:13

"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear, I will help you."

Be strong my brothers and sisters, for God is on our side.

With peace and love,

Krystle :)




No comments:

Post a Comment